I enjoy this time of year, for many reasons.
I love the music, the decorations, the time with friends and family … but I also LOVE the attention that atheism receives for fighting a battle against the ominous, dangerous, threatening, “baby in the barn”.
The War On Christmas
This “war” may be the single best opportunity of the year to spread the message about why there is even a “war” in the first place. Let’s capitalize on the attention we receive now to spread the message behind WHY this is even an issue:
- Tax and representation - My tax dollars should never be spent on religion since that religion may not represent an ideology I support.
- Freedom of Religion – My government should never endorse implicitly or explicitly one religion over another. I am free to support or not support any religious belief system.
- This is a National Holiday - My tax dollars are paying government employees to stay home and not work. That’s fine … until the “reason for the season” is religious.
These two fall under the easy “Separation of Church and State”. Which means … DO IT ON YOUR OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY, not public property supported by my tax dollars. However, let’s not forget the second part of this “war”. The second part is well reflected in the American Atheist billboard referenced in the video clip below. Specifically, the billboard doesn’t discuss legal separation of Church and State, but takes a different tact altogether.
The other part of the War on Xmas
- Every reason you are an atheist.
- This is a National Holiday celebrating the birth of a God to believers who value “FAITH” more than “REASON”.
- This holiday honors the birth of the son of God (and God himself) that is genocidal, jealous, misogynistic, etc.
- The “God of the Gaps” is no longer necessary.
- etc. etc. etc.
The video below is of David Silverman, the fantastic President of American Atheists, being attacked by Hannity on Fox News. I love David and am proud to be a supporting member of American Atheists … and I really dislike Hannity and his mistreatment of David.